Friday, August 31, 2012

Chapter 6 Question 2

 The risk of losing my friends or even a job

For me, I have not been in a time when I stood my ground on an issue despite the risk of losing my friends or even a job. I believe most of us have faced the situation that is tough to make a decision. However, if we can find the balance point that can smoothen both sides, things will be much easier in our lives. There is an example I have gone through when I was fourteenth. I still remember on that day, I hung out with a group of friends. We were just chit chatting and mentioned about different religions. They were saying that God does not really exists. In their mind, the story of the whole holy thing was just a foolish joke to the world. People who believe in God are dumb. I was strongly disagreed with what they said and we had a different opinion on that topic. Even though I am not a baptized christian, I do not like to ridicule or to make fun of God or other religions. Unfortunately, they started to get mad at me because I was not at their side. At that moment, I realized that if I continued to stay strong on what I thought, it would result in a horrible fight between us which I may lose my friends. So I stood back and tried to clam them down by slightly changing to another topic. At the end, it worked out. Concluding what I am trying to state from the above experience is that if we can consider the consequences twice before we take any actions, we surly have the ability to make the situations better. It is not necessarily to take the risk of losing friends or anything important to us.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Meii,

    Your situation is very intriguing to me. I went to a private catholic school from K-8 and throughout high school. And my experience at a catholic school was a very interesting one. Throughout high school, I would go through theology classes and the concept of God and religion was drilled into our heads, but at the same time they let us know that everyone has their own views on God and has their own special connection and some don't believe at all. Coming into San Jose State three years ago was VERY different for me. Being the first public school for me was very interesting. I have bumped into many people that don't believe in God and have completely different views than me, whether it be religion or anything else. Because of this diversity of people at SJSU, I was able to learn that some topics really are just topics you can't speak to everyone about. I have been in an argument with someone about God, and I did the same thing and changed the topic. I really do agree with you when you say that we should consider the consequences before speaking because no one would really want to lose a friendship.

    -AvatarAang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that not every argument has to decide whether you lose your friends or keep them. In my opinion, if they say something you disagree with, you should tell them what you think in a way that does not attack their idea but rather proposes a new way of thinking about the matter. I cannot count how many times my opinion has been different from those close to me and yet I’ve never been afraid to say that I disagree. I guess I thought that if they were really the sort of people I needed in my life, they would accept my opinions, not condemn me for them.

    ReplyDelete