Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chapter 3 Question 2


One of the rhetorical devices I used in the past week is euphemism. “A euphemism is the replacement of a negative term with a neutral or positive one to cover up or sugarcoat the truth.” I was persuading my parents to let me go back to my hometown in winter break. The ticket cost $1400 which is quite a lot amount of expense for a month of winter break. What they had in mind at first when I said that was “NO! That is too much since you do not even have a job to earn any money!” Later, I changed my way to say that “I miss you so much and I want to spend my Christmas with you” with a pitiful tone. Ultimately, they approve me to go back home.
Another example of rhetorical device I used is sarcasm. “Sarcasm is the use of ridicule, insults, taunting, and/or caustic irony.” My sister is a shopaholic. She spends all her money once she gets paid. Her action gives me a chance to taunt her always suffering from lack of money even she has a job.

1 comment:

  1. I found your post very interesting. The way that you described the situation with your parents is a perfect example of a euphemism. The wording of the things we say seems like it has to be thoroughly thought out clearly in our heads before we just blurt things. I am in a similar situation to your sister. I have the tendency to spend money that I don’t have on things that I probably don’t need and I have a job. I really enjoyed reading this. You seem to have a great personality from what I can read so far!

    ReplyDelete