Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chapter 3 Question 3

The concept that I would like to discuss in depth in Chapter 3 is the main concept from the chapter---what is language. From the book, it states language is a system of communication that involves a set of arbitrary symbols, whether spoken, written, or nonverbal, as in the case of sign language. In another word, language is the principal method to communicate with others. Language is also the primary means of transmitting cultural concepts and traditions. We are born into a language by what it said from the chapter. I think it is interesting sometimes because it is not a must to sound out in order to let people to understand what we are trying to say. Especially when we are with our friends, my friends can easily understand me when I just move a little with my eyes. I can conceive this as a sign or body language. Language is an amazing thing in the world which connect human as a chain since we can understand each other because of language.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought that this concept was interesting. I like how you express how your friends just sort of read your language. I totally agree with you and I think that it is interesting ho our friends know us that well. My friends can read my body language even when they can not see me. If they are in another room and I am having a conversation with someone, just from the sound of my voice, my best friend, can tell how I physically will react. And on the flip side of that, if she can see me and I do not say anything she can read my body language or expression and know what I was going to say. I can also do this with her, so it is interesting how we use language in different ways other then just verbals to connect and understand each other.

    ReplyDelete