Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chapter 7 Question 1

From the reading in chapter 7 about the inductive argument, it is an argument that the conclusion probably follows from the premises. Therefore, inductive arguments are only stronger or weaker rather than true or false. There are many examples which are inductive arguments in the past week. One of the examples is that “I will be killed by car accident if I need to drive a long distance on the day I do not have enough sleep”. In another words, I predict that I will die in a car accident when I drive unconsciously. In this case, the premise is “to drive while I do not have enough sleep”, whereas the conclusion will be “it is dangerous to death”. That is an inductive argument because there is not a must to involve in an accident even when I am sleepy. However, I just put myself in a worse situation which did not happened. Overall, an inductive argument is somehow the predictions base on what information we have.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post, about the car ride. I believe another good one that has to do with driving is wearing seat belts. Usually, when people die in car accidents it was because they didn't wear a seatbelt. If someone doesn't wear a seatbelt while driving. Then they will get killed. Many predictions in an inductive argument can either be strong or weak. Inductive arguments are made everyday and everywhere. The premises are similar to statistics and the conclusion is based on the premises. A lot of the week inductive arguments will show, when the premises are not clear to the reader or really fake.

    ReplyDelete